Follow my blog with Bloglovin KatmandewFBA 365: Day 152 - FABAIC 2011

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Day 152 - FABAIC 2011


Marcela Murad, Heather Banks, Sillyfarm, the vendors & everyone else who helped to bring this magical convention to life, did it once again with spectacular success. The 2011 Face & Body Art International Convention (FABAIC) exceeded my expectations as soon as I walked in the door. The registration was quick, effortless and friendly. The Pre-Day and Workshop classes we took were excellent and the vendors were Awesome! If I wasn't on a budget, I would have bought them out completely.

With all that said, there was amazing talent during the Jam sessions we had at night. The creativity flowed and the imagination was stretched to the limits and beyond. Color flew through the air to be deposited on a fleshy canvas that moved and made the art come to life. If ever there was a sight to behold, the jams were the place to tantalize your eyes.

Most of the jams ended at 2AM, but that did not stop them from migrating to a room or into the courtyard to continue until morning. Many, as we woke up, were just going to bed or buying massive amounts of Starbucks coffee to keep themselves going. Insomnia during this convention is very prominent and expected. "You can sleep when it is over", some say, but never once did you see an unhappy face, unless it was painted on.

To my amazement, I was greeted by everyone with such kindness & candor that I felt overwhelmed at times. A lot of people knew who I was just by my presence on the internet through Facebook and YouTube. Although I know I made waves that could have pushed people away, they still came up to me with a smile and a hug and greeted me as though there was nothing wrong with the world around us. The humble nature made me feel more welcome than I ever have before. I met celebrities in our industry who would rather be thought of as friends than to be worshiped. Jinny, Mark Reid, Nick & Brian Wolfe, Pashur House, Margi Kanter, Wiser Oner, Jay Bautista, Pam Trent and many more talented artists/instructors, opened their arms and hearts to everyone who was just beginning and also those who were more advanced. They themselves were learning from the rest of us and gathering inspiration and knowledge. At no time did I feel that anyone was above the other and we were equals gathering to bring forth our industry into new and uncharted horizons.

The competitions were fun and exciting, as we had only a limited amount of time to create. I entered myself into the Semi-Pro Face Paint competition and found myself beaten by my ego. What I thought would have been a winning entry turned out to be a flop. I wanted to show everyone what I can do and disappointed myself in the process. I should have given more thought as to the representation of my work,but instead tried to hurry along. I felt the other artists in the room did a much better job than I did and got the recognition they so rightly deserved. I had a lot of people comment on how cool my design was, but it was not my best work and everyone knew it. I felt I let everyone down as they have seen what I can do in my YouTube videos and in the galleries of my Facebook profile and pages. Next year, I will exceed expectation and enter the Professional Face Paint competition and the Body Paint competition and show what I have learned from my past mistakes and the instructors and wonderful artists around me.

I did happen to make a very good friend there, who I have the pleasure of calling the sister I never had, Samantha Bartko of Utah. She loved my style and made me feel comfortable no matter what. She also encouraged me at everything I did and listened when needed. She is very humble and creative and won 2nd Place in the Semi-Pro Face Paint competition and an award for Up and Coming Artist of the Year. She was even kind enough to paint me for the Gala and it became a hit of the party. I am glad to have met her and made a lasting friendship with her.

On that note, I have to mention another wonderful and patient friend of mine, who painted me up as a blue and white tiger taking a drink from a stream, Erica Zach Exline. She won 1st Place in the Pro Face Paint competition and deserved every bit of it. She is an excellent artist and very modest individual. I am happy to call her a great friend and if you are reading this, Erica, I promise to paint you with every bit of my heart the next time we meet!

There are so many other great artists who I met who have made a difference in my life and I thank them all for it. If it was not for you all, and you know who you are, Shannon Randolph, Mandi Ilene Schiff, Shannon Hillard, Brady Neher, Jessica Mellow, Lauren-Rae Chismar, Ivonne Salazar, April Powell, Shelli Fresco Farber, Kim Brennan and many more that I have not mentioned, I would not be here today. You have grounded me and I am a better person for it. Thank you all!

It brings tears to my eyes that I did not get to meet everyone I wanted to and take all the classes that were there and broken promises that were made by me. There was just not enough time and I wish that there was. Parting is such sweet sorrow and that is exactly what it was when I left a little after midnight on the last day. I do promise you next year will be bigger and better and that if I attend, I will make up those promises and show you how much you have taught me.

Please take a look below at the photos and videos I have provided for your enjoyment, so that you can see what you missed out on. I hope that you will be able to go to FABAIC next year and that if I am there too, I get to meet everyone of you.

My Semi-Pro Face Paint Competition Entry. It was not my best work and I really let myself and everyone who knows what I can do, down. Next year I will exceed expectation and WIN the Pro Face Paint Competition and Body Paint Competition!

Below are photos of myself painted by others. Some of the photos will be used for a book project I am doing and I still need at least 13 more artists to paint me as their version of a feline. If you are interested, please contact me, I do not want to wait a year to get more done and delay the book longer.






Below are video montages of the different classes and activities that went on during the convention, enjoy!





As always, I will close out by saying, I had a great time and miss everyone, and until next time, Happy Painting!

P.S. If I left anything out, I will include them in the following blog entries until next Wednesday. Just let me know if I have forgotten anything.

1 comment:

  1. I loved meeting you too & no matter what you feel about your work- I was thoroughly impressed! :) Oh, and you aren't the only one who missed out on a lot! I feel like I was going- going- going... but still missing- missing- missing! lol I guess that's bound to happen when there is so much going on at the same time! It was an amazing experience- & I'm so glad to have been able to share in at least SOME of that with you! Thanks for being so nice to all us newbies! :)
    ~Shannon Randolph

    ReplyDelete